This was my nemesis for the day (this has been an unfortunate trend for this trip so far, one I hope to end immediately).
Apparently deadbolts on doors in London auto-lock for you when you close the door. Not knowing this, I closed the door (to which I had no key) and headed out for some food. Upon returning from the outing, I discovered that there was no way to get back in.
Luckily, family turned up within 5-10 minutes and let me in, and now I've been given a full set of keys while I'm here.
Other notable things from the day: bagels really aren't very good here (not a huge surprise, but still sad), there are more coins than I know what to do with (5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, 1 pound, 2 pound, and probably a few others I haven't yet encountered), I was pleasantly surprised by how little I minded the weather (grey and drizzly most of the day, with short periods of heavier rain), and "salad" has some interesting interpretations (in this case, a carefully arranged selection of vegetable-like things...cole slaw, then cut tomatoes, then corn, then something else that I couldn't recognize...all carefully separated, with no condiment of any kind).
Good day, overall. :)

2 comments:
indian food is better, generally, in London than anywhere here in the states, but bagels definitely didn't migrate back to London with any authenticity - it'll have to be something that you look forward to when you come back here for visits, or folks will have to bring you bagels (like people bring my Mexican expat friend in Nairobi tortillas, which you can't get in Kenya!!)
Indeed, that's what I've heard. The concept of the diner seems foreign here as well (which seems odd, since it would go so well in a big city!).
Perhaps I could become a millionaire by learning how to make NY-style (aka really yummy) bagels and opening a shop? Too bad I don't really want to make bagels all day long.
Post a Comment